- 4 ciabatta rolls, toasted or grilled
- 2 large eggplants
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling plus 2 tablespoons
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 can artichoke hearts, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 5 to 6 basil leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 tablespoons, balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Heat a large grill pan or an outdoor grill. Slice eggplantlengthwise, about 1/4-inch thick. Liberally drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill the eggplant slices until tender on one side, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and top with a slice of fresh mozzarella. Tent with foil or put the lid of the grill on to melt. Cook 2-3 minutes.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cherry tomatoes,artichoke hearts, red onion, basil, 2 tablespoons oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
Place slices on toasted roll bottoms. Top with salad and serve.