- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground cardamom
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar (optional)
- 3 tea bags, preferably strong black tea such as Assam
- 1 cup of half-and-half
1. Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a saucepan or small pot. As the water heats up, add the ginger, cardamom and, if using, brown sugar.2. Once water has reached a boil, reduce to medium-low heat so it simmers with gentle bubbles. Add the tea bags and half-and-half.
Using tea bags simplifies the process.
3. Let the liquid slowly come to a boil once again, then remove from heaGupta says making chai isn’t just about the drink but also the tradition surrounding it.4. Remove tea bags and carefully pour tea into teapot or cups.
Makes 4 servings