- 8 ounces new potatoes of any color, or small fingerling potatoes
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 2 cups green beans, filet beans, wax beans or a mix
- 1 anchovy fillet
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 roasted red or yellow bell peppers, seeded, reserving any juice from roasting (see NOTE)
Place the potatoes in a medium saucepan; cover with cold water by 2 inches. Add the vinegar and salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until the potatoes are just tender, about 20 minutes, then transfer them to a colander to drain.
Meanwhile, fill a mixing bowl with ice cubes and water. Bring a separate pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add a pinch of salt, then the green beans. Cook/blanch for a minute or two, just until the beans become bright green. Drain and immediately transfer to the ice-water bath to cool. Drain and pat dry.
Place the anchovy in a small bowl and mash it with the back of a fork. Add the citrus juices and zest, shallot, chopped parsley and oil; whisk to form an emulsified dressing.
Cut the still-warm potatoes into quarters and place in a serving bowl. Add the dressing and toss to coat.
Cut the roasted peppers into thin strips, about the same size as the green beans. Toss the green beans and peppers together, including any juice from the roasted peppers, then add to the potato mixture and toss to combine. Taste, and add salt as needed.
Serve at room temperature. Serves 6
NOTE: Roast bell peppers whole on an aluminum-foil-lined baking sheet at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour. When cool enough to handle, discard the skin and seeds.
Adapted from “Root to Leaf,” by Steven Satterfield