- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 pounds large ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into 1/4″ slices
- 2 1/2 cups coarsely grated extra-sharp cheddar (8-9 ounces)
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan (1/2 ounce)
- 1 scallion, trimmed, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornmeal
Lay tomatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with 2 layers of paper towels. Place another 2 layers of paper towels on top of tomatoes. Let stand for 30 minutes to drain.
Preheat oven to 425°. Roll out dough between 2 sheets of plastic wrap to an 11″ round. Remove top layer of plastic wrap. Invert dough onto pie dish. Carefully peel off plastic wrap.
Toss both cheeses in a medium bowl until evenly incorporated. Reserve 1/4 cup of cheese mixture. Whisk scallion, mayonnaise, dill, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
Sprinkle cornmeal evenly over bottom of crust, then top with 1/2 cup cheese mixture. Arrange 1/3 of tomatoes over cheese, overlapping as needed. Spread half of mayonnaise mixture (about 1/3 cup) over. Repeat layering with 1 cup of cheese mixture, 1/2 of remaining tomato slices, and remaining mayonnaise mixture. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese mixture over, then remaining tomato slices. Sprinkle with reserved 1/4 cup cheese mixture. Fold overhanging crust up and over edges of tomato slices.
Bake pie until crust is golden and cheese is golden brown, 35-40 minutes (check crust halfway and tent with foil if it’s getting too dark). Let pie cool at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours before slicing and serving.
Editor’s note: This recipe reflects the change made to the amount of buttermilk in the crust.
Read More http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2011/08/tomato-and-cheddar-pie#ixzz2bQjHYejV