- 14 ounces sourdough bread (crusts trimmed, if desired), cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups whole or low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 medium eggs (may substitute 3 large eggs)
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus 1/3 cup for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking oil spray.
Toss together the bread cubes, blueberries, rosemary and lemon zest in a mixing bowl. Spread in the baking dish.
Whisk together the milk, heavy cream, eggs, 1/2 cup of the sugar, the vanilla extract and salt in the same bowl you just used, until well blended. Pour over the mixture in the baking dish and stir gently to moisten all the bread cubes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Stir together the remaining 1/3 cup of sugar and the nutmeg in a bowl, then sprinkle that mixture over the bread pudding. Bake for 1 hour or until nicely browned.