1 cup sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
¼ cup orange juice
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 ½ cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
½ cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
4 to 5 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
½ cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
2 tbsp coarse sugar, optional
With an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar in a bowl until light. Beat in oil. Beat in orange and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add to egg mixture and stir until combined.
In a third bowl, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, apples and nuts.
Spread about half of the batter in an oiled and parchment lined 9 inch spring-form pan. Spoon apples on top of this batter. Drizzle remaining batter on top of the apples. The batter on the top layer may not cover the apples completely. Sprinkle with coarse sugar.
Bake in a preheated 350 degrees F oven for about 50 to 60 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. If the cake is browning too much, cover loosely with foil and reduce oven heat to 325 degree F. Makes 8 to 12 servings.
Recipe from “Friday Night Dinners” by Bonnie Stern.
- 16 oz. firm tofu
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Shaoxing wine or dry sherry cooking wine
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
Cut your block of tofu into bite-sized cubes and set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the stock, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, wine, sesame oil, and sugar, and set aside. dmv note:press tofu
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok or skillet over medium heat, and add the garlic. Cook for a minute, being careful not to let the garlic burn. Add the broccoli, and crank up the heat to high, stir-frying the broccoli for a minute or to, just until it starts to turn a bright green color.
- 2-3 large sweet potatoes, peeled
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed skillet, heat 1/8-inch vegetable oil over medium high heat until shimmering (but not smoking). Note: oil should sizzle when you drop a few shreds of sweet potato in.
- Using a cheese grater, coarsely grate sweet potato and place in a large bowl.
- Pour lightly beaten eggs into shredded sweet potato and stir together.
- Add parmesan cheese, brown sugar and onion powder, and season everything liberally with salt and pepper.
- Mix until everything is incorporated and sweet potato is thoroughly coated.
- Working in large spoonfuls, drop sweet potato mixture in large clumps into the hot oil. Using the back of a spatula, pat sweet potato rounds down into a flat disc.
- Cook undisturbed for 2-3 minute, or until golden brown. Flip and cook other side until golden.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and serve immediately. Serves 4-6
Recipe adapted from The Pancake Princess