- 1 large seedless cucumber, peeled and cut into 3-inch lengths
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 36 slices of party rye or 18 slices of rye bread
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 1 Persian cucumber, thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
Step 1 Using a box grater, coarsely grate the cucumber lengthwise, stopping when you get to the seedy center. Transfer the cucumber to a bowl and stir in the vinegar, lemon juice, sugar and salt. Let stand for 15 minutes.
Step 2 If using rye bread slices, use a 2-inch-round cookie cutter to cut out 36 rounds from the bread. Cover with a slightly damp towel.