- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons (272 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (6 grams) baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (6 grams) kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (102 grams) extra-virgin olive oil with a nice, mild flavor (avoid ones with a strong peppery flavor)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (180 grams) maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (24 grams) coconut sugar
- 1 3/4 cups (252 grams) dark chocolate chunks (note: use a vegan brand if you want to keep these fully vegan)
- 1 tablespoon flaky salt
- Heat the oven to 375F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, baking powder, and kosher salt to combine and get rid of any flour lumps.
In a separate large bowl, whisk together olive oil, maple syrup, molasses, vanilla, and coconut sugar until fully combined and smooth—the mixture will look like slightly loose caramel. Add the dry ingredients and chocolate chunks, and use a wooden spoon or spatula to gently combine from the bottom and sides until there are no visible streaks of flour, but then stop. Over-mixing will make your cookies less tender. (Note: If you’d like to hydrate your flour as the original Ovenly recipe recommends, stick it in the fridge, covered, at this point for 12 to 24 hours. Or you can bake these right away.)
Grab a tablespoon or a scoop and divide the dough into heaping tablespoons, spaced out about 2-inches apart onto the baking sheets, with flat bottoms and domed tops; you should get between 24 and 26 portions. Sprinkle a little pinch of flaky salt over the top of each cookie.
Bake for about 13 minutes, until they’ve spread slightly (but they won’t spread much) and there are slight striations starting to form around the edges—they won’t look fully done, don’t worry! Take them out of the oven and let cool a few minutes before attempting to move; they’ll firm up as they rest.
2 cups sugar, plus additional sugar for sprinkling
1/2 cup buttermilk
2/3 cup vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoon lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, combine eggs, sugar, buttermilk, shortening and vanilla extract until smooth. Fold in baking soda, flour and salt.Â Add zest.
Line baking sheets with parchment. Drop 1 tablespoon size portions of cookie dough onto the sheet, with at least 2 inches between each round of dough. Bake for 15 minutes.
If you prefer a thinner cookie, in the final 2 minutes of baking, use a spatula to flatten each cookie.
Sprinkle cookies with a light dusting of sugar and allow them to cook on racks.