- Kosher salt
- 1 lb/455 g angel hair pasta
- 2 1/2 cups/600 ml Flash-Sautéed Fresh Cherry Tomato Sauce, heated
- Two 6-oz/170-g cans good-quality tuna packed in oil, drained and flaked
- 1/2 cup/55 g pitted green olives such as Lucques or Castelvetrano
- 1 tbsp rinsed capers
- 1/4 cup/10 g chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, or other fresh herbs as you like
Bring a large pot of generously salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta, stir, and cook until just shy of al dente (about 1 minute less than the package instructions). Just before the pasta is ready, scoop out about ½ cup/120 ml of the cooking water and set aside. Drain the pasta.
Return the pasta to the pot over medium heat. Add the tomato sauce and toss to coat evenly. Fold in the tuna, olives, and capers, and then fold in a few spoonfuls of reserved pasta water to create a nice saucy consistency.
Divide the pasta among warmed pasta bowls and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve right away.
Flash-Sautéed Fresh Cherry Tomato Sauce
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp minced, seeded jalapeño, serrano, or other fresh hot chile or pepperoncino
- Kosher salt
- 5 cups/800 g ripe cherry tomatoes, stemmed and halved if large
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lightly packed finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice, plus more if needed
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, basil, mint, or a mixture
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
In a large sauté pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chile and 1/2 tsp salt and cook, stirring often, until soft and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring often, until they begin to burst and release their juice, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds or so, then stir in the lemon zest and juice. Remove the pan from the heat, add the parsley and butter, and swirl the pan to blend them into the sauce. Taste and balance the seasoning with salt and lemon juice if needed. Serve right away.
Storage: This sauce loses its vibrancy after a few hours, so use it as soon as possible after making it.
Quick Change: Add 1 tbsp drained capers or chopped, pitted green olives with the garlic.