1 large butternut squash, cut into small cubes, divided
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Salt and pepper, for seasoning
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 red onion, sliced thinly
1/2 pound orecchiette
1 or 2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 cups veggie broth, divided
1 bunch kale
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 ounce goat cheese, optional
1 tablespoon chopped sage
Parmesan cheese, to serve
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Toss all but 1 cup of the butternut squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, pepper, a pinch of cayenne pepper, and the nutmeg. Roast until butternut squash pieces are tender and caramelized, about 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium saucepan over low heat. Cook sliced red onions until caramelized, about 30 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat a pot of water over high heat until boiling. Salt water generously. Cook orecchiette according to package instructions until al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat another tablespoon of olive oil in a heavy pan over medium-high heat. Cook the remaining cup of butternut squash for approximately 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Add 1/2 cup of the chicken broth and cook until broth is almost completely absorbed.
- Remove the middle stems from the kale and roughly chop the leaves. Add kale to butternut squash and stir until kale has softened. Add caramelized red onions.
- Add white wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add remaining chicken broth and reduce, about 10 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and add the heavy cream. When the pasta is al dente, add it to the pan with the sauce. Add the roasted butternut squash.
- Loosen sauce with pasta water if needed. Sprinkle with goat cheese (optional), sage, and Parmesan cheese. Serves 4