- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 cup farro
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium veggie broth
- 3 links faux sausage, removed from casings
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups cremini or button mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons (way too much) chopped oregano, Next time try thyme
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add farro and cook, stirring often, until fragrant and toasted, 4 to 5 minutes. Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed and farro is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking it up into small chunks with a spatula, until almost cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, toss well and cook, stirring occasionally, until just softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove skillet from the heat and stir in spinach until wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir parsley, oregano, salt and pepper into pot with farro, then spoon onto plates. Top with sausage-mushroom mixture and serve.